From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:32:32 +0000
Hugh:  With all due respect, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about when you say that " ... this conference would not have been necessary."  First, which conference are you talking about, as the referenced article mentions two.  The first, Law Firm Information Governance Symposium, hosted by Iron Mountain and co-sponsored by ARMA in May 2012, is a critically important event.  Even if ARMA didn't come up with the idea, organize it and provide the resources for it, I don't think ARMA should be criticized as strongly as you've done for that.  As a professional association of members coming from 20+ industry sectors, ARMA doesn't have the resources to give every one of these sectors the in-depth attention that a private, for-profit sponsor can, and what's so wrong with that?  Regarding the legal sector, which has always been a records management horse of a different color, ARMA has done a pretty good job in recent years by partnering with organizations that focus on the legal market, specifically ILTA (Int'l Legal Technology Assoc), ALA (Assoc of Legal Administrators), LegalTech, and now Iron Mountain. ARMA is an umbrella organization, and it's finally maximizing its effectiveness by engaging in this kind of partnering.  I see this as a positive development, not a negative one.  The second conference mentioned in the article, LegalTech, is something completely separate and apart from ARMA and is not competing with ARMA.  In fact, none of the organizations I've mentioned above are competing with ARMA.

I really don't agree with your second paragraph at all, as there is no one in my circle of professional colleagues -- all of whom are engaged in RM-related initiatives such as knowledge management, information governance, big data management, and "other new entrants" -- who doesn't know that ARMA exists and doesn't take full advantage of what it has to offer.  I think what you didn't get the memo about is that records management -- alive and well -- is now one component of a much larger, broader program of information initiatives that organizations are tackling.  As information professionals, our universe doesn't consist only of records management now, and I believe most of us got this message a year or two ago.

Sorry, but this is my two cents.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management