From:
BUTTNER Gesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 06:58:03 +0000
Gordy,

Contrary to Glenn and Mary we have made some good experiences with using the retention schedules as file structure. Our system (Documentum by EMC) sets retention at folder level, so we have a record series folder which sets the retention for all folders and records which structurally come under it. That way, we can apply retention policies in a grouped way. It is a true that it separates records that content-wise belong together (such as meetings and agendas), but that could be circumvented, if users wanted, by virtual folders. However, this is not even needed, as we use our system for archiving records when they are no longer in the current life. For the current life, we use Sharepoint where, in our case, retention plays no role for information organisation. So, some of the points Glenn and Mary make do not really apply in our case.

The advantage of building folder structure on retention schedules is the tighter document control; the disadvantage is that it takes longer to prepare the system for roll-out.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Gesa Büttner