From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 07:48:42 -0700
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Alice Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am considering the difference(s) between the two terms "fire-resistant"
> and "fire-proof" and have hit a crossroad.
>
> In my mind, "fire-resistant" allows me to think I have a brief span of
> time whereby impacted records are in danger, but could be okay, if the fire
> is brought under control within 2 hours.  Whereas, "fire-proof" does not
> exist in 99% of cases.
>
> Am I correct?  Or are there cabinets/vaults that truly ARE "fire-proof"
> that won't cost a ton of gold?  That is, unless Larry Medina is in charge
> of the vault, and EVERYTHING is secured!

Alice-

You are correct, there is a MAJOR difference between the two, and if you
want th edetialed info on how ey are rated and what the differences are,
you'll need a copy of this, UL-72 Standard:

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/solutions/standards/accessstandards/catalogofstandards/standard/?id=72_15

As for the availability of such devices, it depends on the volume you're
trying to protect and if it's media or paper.  Naturally, if you're trying
to store a blend, you'd have to go with something rated for media... but
the capacity is going to be smaller, or the price higher for greater
capacity.

Another MAJOR consideration is the 'environment' the safe would be placed
in- if it's on the upper floor/s of a facility that could potentially
suffer a burn through of the lower floors, then it also has to be "impact
resistant"; able to withstand a drop of a certain distance without bursting
open.

Paper can withstand temperatures up to 350 for an hour without suffering
major damage; Media begins to breakdown at 250 and SHOULD remain below 125
to remain stable.

When I was consulting, I used to sell media and record safes, and there was
only ONE BRAND that I would recommend, and that's because of the
manufacturer's warranty being bulletproof.  They are sold as FIREPROOF
safes and files, and they ARE.
http://www.schwabfiles.com/sentry-fireproof-media-cabinets.html  The Fire
Guard Insulated Media Safes are UL Class 125 for 1 hour (interior remains
below 125 when exterior is subjected to temps up to 1700), can withstand a
drop of 30 feet, and will survive an explosion heat of up to 2000.

There are also Media safes that maintain 350 for 1 hour, primarily designed
for paper based media, http://www.schwabfiles.com/fireproof-safes/index.html
They also carry 3 that are 125 for 1 hour.

SCHWAB also offers lateral and vertical paper record files now sold under
the name "Sentry" that are 350 rated and 30 foot drop resistant.
http://www.schwabfiles.com/fireproof-vertical-files/index.html

And just to be clear, I have no financial ties to these folks, nor do I
sell their products any longer.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA