From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:21:53 -0700
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Roach, Bill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >> A cursory search concludes a successor client entity, if any, is
> uncertain. Can you make a legal assessment that the records have little or
> no continuing value? I would say yes.<<
>
> I would suggest that a "cursory search" should include a first class
> mailing to the last known address.  For a few cents additional you can have
> the undelivered mailing returned.  When it is, retain it as proof that the
> search was completed.  Simple and cost effective.
>
> Bill Roach CRM
>
> Thoughts are my own and not those of my employer or any other individual
> or entity.

I recall past practice used to involve a direct mailing followed up by a
posting a notice in a newspaper of the last known city of the client for 7
days giving notice that if the records remained unclaimed by their last
known owner or a successor organization that could lay claim to them, they
would be destroyed.

Do any law firms or commercial storage service providers still follow this
practice?

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA