From:
Bill Millican <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:30:05 -0500
Deb,

Good evening!

My name is Bill Millican. I have been around the Listserv for about as long
as it's been around, and around the industry for going on 40 years. I don't
"chime in" very often but am always reading and listening. I have had many
records & information management and governance positions in my career;
suffice it to say, that I am very fond of what we all do. Some say that I
should retire, but I have much to give back and continue to be able to
contribute. Today, I am a director on staff at Xact Data Discovery. We are
an international electronic and data discovery and management company
headquartered in the Kansas City, Missouri area.

Your question has received many very good pieces of advice. As you have
gathered, there are no formal rules for QCing images (and yes, I do know
that in some industries and agencies, some guidelines and standards - SOP's
do exist), but there is (as has been noted) a preferred method. It is the
method that our company follows. I am sure there is someone in our company
who knows about how many images we create from paper each month. The number
is in the millions. I cannot speak for others in our industry who do what
we do, but we QC each and every image, one by one. We have no tolerance
levels, or sample sets. We QC every image looking for specific inaccuracies
in the image set. It takes time, but our clients are OK with that.

To close, you will need to make the decision based upon what your clients
expect from you and your imaging process. Sometimes, tolerances are
acceptable due to time and cost; sometimes, those tolerances are not
acceptable. That is something you and your team will need to decide in the
best interests of your clients and your organization.

Good luck ----- and remember: if you do not find the time to do what is
best the first time, do you believe you'll find the proper amount of time
to do what is best a second time? A quote from a wise old sage from days
gone by......

Bill Millican

--
Bill Millican