From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:33:54 -0700
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm really stunned about the 50 & 75 year retention periods. The State of
> Colorado, which I always considered to be pretty conservative about this
> stuff says 10 years after separation. Our H.R. director asked me to try to
> get it reduced to 3 years after separation, but the State wouldn't budge.
>  Suddenly, 10 years sees pretty reasonable.  75? Wow.
>
> David R. McLallen, ECMp

David-

In our case, we're Contractors to a Federal Agency... so it's their
retention model we have to follow.  And personnel files are very
structured- the items that are maintained are very well defined.

There are a number of reasons for the lengthy retention, including any
potential or possible exposure to hazardous materials which is established
to satisfy any health claims after separation, by the employee, or their
heirs, for up to two generations.

I'm sure as a County, the State has to be the one who determines the
retention requirements when it comes to things like personnel records.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*