From:
Bill Millican <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:36:24 -0500
Greetings to All,

The Issue, or Discussion: New AIIM Courses on Information Governance and
the eDiscovery Process. eDiscovery is "not" information governance, but
there is more that needs to be said regarding the relationship between the
two.

The EDRM - the electronic discovery reference model (as many of you already
know) is a six phase approach for facilitating electronic discovery. The
first phase of the EDRM is "Information Management". A few of us who now
live our professional lives within the realm of the discovery process, and
particularly the eDiscovery process (the EDRM) embrace and promote the idea
that for the process to be successful, organizations must fully understand,
embrace and practice the tenets of fundamental records and information
management. Further, RIM as we have known it and watched it develop, leads
us into the thought and practice of information governance.

For many years, I have been long-time proponent of the information
governance thought and practice. For me, it requires a shift in mind-set,
professional position and practice.

Information Governance is not Electronic Discovery; but without IG,
eDiscovery cannot be as successful as it should be and needs to be.

Respectfully,

--
Bill Millican