From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:16:48 -0700
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Gary Link <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> <<
> Where would I find sleeves thin enough in order to scan linen drawings?  I
> have some that are fairly old and would like to imagine them, but a
> scanner is all I have access to at this time.
> >>

> If I understand your question correctly, we had a similar situation
> wherein we wanted to run old drawings through our scanner but they were
> brittle and falling apart. We bought a roll of mylar and cut lengths that
> we simply folded in half to enclose the drawings and fed the fold end in
> first. It worked out well.
>
> Gary Link

not to be a stickler here, but a question for you....

I know when you scan large format engineering drawings on a drum-type
scanner there is always some concern that your final 'image' is a bit
distorted due to the drum and the distance between the substrate and the
'lens'.

When you encapsulate them in mylar for scanning, do you exacerbate this
distortion?

We had engineers/draftsmen do dimensional take-offs on some of the source
materials and then compare them to output from the scans and they found
discrepancies.  The decision was made to include a scaling element on each
source item when they were scanned after the first few tests were run.

I'd guess on a flatbed scanner, this would be less of an issue.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*