From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 15:50:49 -0500
They must have been doing something right as no documents were damaged.

I remember flying to the UK some years ago to talk about protecting a collection that included William of Orange documents and even his sword.

They did not have the budget for the vault and the Archive would not release anything to the Town unless they provided protection for the artifacts.  This is similar to the Bureau of Indian Affairs here.  They require the Nations to provide a very secure environment to break the various tribal documents away from the BIA.  Even though where they reside now is not the perfect situation.

 I offered to build the vault in exchange for William’s sword.    And I was gracious and offered that if they ever raised the money for the vault, then I would give the sword back.  They said that couldn’t be done because the sword was priceless.  But if they don’t protect it sooner or later it will be lost as so many collections are.

It is interesting how many time records end up as the principle element in novels.  Those pesky Templars would give their weight in gold for a good records manager who could have kept track of a few things.  I am sure if they hired Larry, Ginny, Fred and Gary Link, then in no time at all the Holy Grail would be found in some store room.  (You all kept up on your Latin right? ) When we were discussing great archives, the one I would chose to visit if I was given free rein would have been 1) The complete Vatican Archive & Library 2) The Library of Congress 3) The stacks of the New York Public Library.  I would of course need six months to brush up on a Rosetta Stone Latin course. (As an old altar boy and Catholic Grade School and High School alumni, I am sure it comes back easily. )   If I could hold one thing in my hands it would be the Holy Grail.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM