From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:44:03 -0400
Hugh,

Executive Order 12356
(http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/codification/executive-order/12356.html)
defines the levels of information classification; Confidential, Secret
and Top Secret.  Classifying documents is not an exact science.  My
experience - each agency does it a little bit differently.  Some are
more restrictive than others.  Yes there are specific requirements for
how classified information are stored.  For example, Department of
Defense Manual 5200 spells out how classified will be maintained and
handled with the DOD.  The retention is defined by either by NARA
general schedules or agency specific.

When I was in the Army I served as a security officer (additional
duty).  Classified documents under my control (primarily Secret and
Top Secret) were stored in combination safes in a secure vault with
limited access to a couple of individuals.  I had strict instructions
and process on who could access the various levels and how the
documents had to be handled.  Although most of the classified
documents under my control were paper we did have some on hard drives
and floppy disks. The handling processes haven't changed over the
years the method for storage and communications have.  All of the
agencies, including the State Department, have secure systems in place
for transmission and storage.  The higher you get in the
classification level the more restrictive the system.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Radnor, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco

"Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work,
so most people don't recognize them."
                  - Ann Landers