From:
charlene martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 17:03:28 -0400
Hi everyone -

I have moved three separate record collections of religious orders into one
archive storage room. Each collection has its own section of the room. Each
collection has been "roughly" processed into record groups.

The problem is, some record groups can consist of subjects that are housed
in loose document cases or as bound volumes. Should I locate/shelve these
materials by subject (record group), or by type of material? If I shelve by
subject, I am looking at having document cases side by side on the shelf
with bound volumes large enough to require horizontal placement (phase
boxes too). If I locate by type, I could either utilize the last shelving
unit of a collection's section for the bound volumes, or use the
furthermost back section of the room to house by type for all three
collections (still maintaining separate collection sections). I could use a
finding aid/separation sheets/book dummies as directional aids in either of
these cases.

But am I making this more difficult than it needs to be, by thinking I must
shelve by type of material rather than subject?

Thank you for your insight!

Charlene Martin
Sisters of St Francis of the Neumann Communities
Syracuse NY