From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 13:56:05 +0000
For those of you who get the Smithsonian Channel, they are broadcasting a series on the “Real Mad Men of Advertising” on Sunday nights (9:00  EST).  So far they have done the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s.  The episodes are also repeated several times during the week.  They have done a good job of describing the advertising activities of Madison Avenue in each of those decades.  All of them cover different time periods in my life, so it is a walk down memory lane for me.  Also interesting to see some of the “trickery” used to get folks to buy.  It was definitely a “man’s world” in those days.  I remember my mother making fun of the housewives in the ads mopping the floor in high heels and pearls.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/the-real-mad-men-of-advertising/1004709?an=featured

http://tinyurl.com/j2lpdsb

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA

According to showrunner Matthew Weiner, the motivation behind this donation, made by Weiner and Lionsgate, came from his unwillingness to let years of painstaking archival work get auctioned away or otherwise vanish forever. “There is a record here of mid-century America that digs so deep,” Weiner said. “It would have been sad to let that go.”
http://bit.ly/2kh0STr

___