From:
"David T. Macknet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 13:16:13 -0800
Dear Records Management List,

I've been looking at this presidential transition, from Obama to Trump,
and find myself wondering about a few things with regards to the
petitions website which was maintained at petitions.whitehouse.gov.  It
appears that this site has been archived at
petitions.obamawhitehouse.archives.gov ... sort of. I'm wondering in
particular about the user accounts:

 1. User accounts were purged, along with the petitions, so users of the
    system have to re-create an account if they wish to sign a petition.
 2. User accounts are inaccessible on the archives website - you receive
    a 404 Page Not Found error if you try to log in - so users of the
    previous administration's petition website have no means of tracking
    what petitions they had signed.

I guess my question is: what would the expectation be, legally, with
regards to user accounts on sites like these?  I can understand purging
them for archival purposes ... at least, I can understand that users
would not be expected to visit that site very frequently and maintaining
a password in some form there would be a security risk, so there's a
clear case for purging at least the passwords. But ... I, as a user,
feel as if I should be able to log into both systems.

Why do user accounts not constitute a record, in this case, or do they
and are they subject to some other standard?

Thanks in advance,

-David

*Dr. David T. Macknet*
MCP, MCSD, BA, MSc, MLitt, PhD