From:
"Petersen, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:38:34 +0000
Happy Thursday, February 09, 2017
I'm sure the answer to this is another of Larry's "It depends" situations but here goes.

I've been asked to be part of a cost savings effort through the IT branch of my employer, one part of which is a deduction in the amount of storage on our NAS.  The storage approx. 2.2 PD of space and IT's original proposal was to run a basic crawl that identifies anything that hasn't been touched/accessed in 12-24 months and destroy it.  We've come on board and said there needs to be additional criteria developed/included while understanding that there is a large percentage of the volume that is ROT.  We're involving the compliance, risk and legal departments in defining the additional criteria and think we've come up with a pretty good POC effort.

I'm being asked if anyone else has gone through the same type of effort, was there some type of standardized criteria used for the crawl, how successful was the effort and is there any industry benchmarking that can be pointed to for Senior management.

We've told the project group that the company risk profile will go a long way toward success and we will be pulling the purged data into a temporary site for a limited period of time in case of problems/repercussions, before final destruction( probably 30-60 days).

We're in the financial services industry and really appreciate any input the list can provide

Thanks

Steve Petersen, CRM | Records Manager, Records & Information Management
o: 319-355-5837 |
e: :[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>| w: www.transamerica.com<http://www.transamerica.com>

Transamerica
[6400 C ST SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404]