From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 22:13:45 -0500
I agree that the role of the records custodian is to follow the law.
However there comes a time and place when maybe civil disobedience is
necessary. In the case of the Putnam County Clerk he is aware that the
newspaper plans on publishing the names even though the citizenry has
expressed their outrage at this action.  Now (and of course i'm not as
knowledgeable about the NY laws as Fred) the clerk has several courses of
actions 1) he can deliver the records and claim that he is just following
orders, 2) he can refuse to deliver the records claiming that he refuses to
release them on moral grounds (yet to be defined). 3) he could deliver them
in hard copy format

and yes any refusal on his part will result in his being held accountable
for disobeying the law, but sometimes that has to be done to make a point.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va