From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:17:17 -0500
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:26:50 -0800, Laura Boldt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I work for an engineering firm in the US with multiple offices.  Our IS
> department is looking at how long to keep back up tapes and what is the
> best way to keep them.

first of all backup tapes are not retention tapes. They are created
primarily for disaster recovery purposes.

>Currently they are still retaining all back up
> tapes from the beginning of the company 28 years ago.

YIKES! my first inclination would be that many of the tapes may not be
readable unless the IT folks have been doing regular maintenance work
(running, testing, tensioning) over the past 28 years as well as doing
migration from one software version to the next and regular upgrades
of hardware.

>  I know this is a
> records management issue but at least it is being addressed and the
> network guy who is investigating this issue will listen to what I have
> to say.  Unfortunately, it sounds like he is under the gun and needs to
> come up with a solution in a couple of weeks.  At this point he is
> thinking of storing them at Iron Mountain with their electronic
> archives.

Iron Mountain has their digital archives which is distinct from their
vault service. I would suspect your network guy is referring to their
vault service.

Where to start? Is it possible to find out what tapes work and what
ones don't? if so that might reduce part of your problem. Secondly you
need to start looking at how electronic records and software
applications are handled within the firm.

IF these tapes are associated with any financial system you will need
to make sure that you are in compliance with IRS RevProc 98-25

that's all from me at this point , others will be joining in shortly I'm sure .

peterk