From:
"Converse, Joseph Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 11:39:45 -0400
Bill,

Sorry to be late answering, but your question brings to mind a description about using a crematorium for burning records that I read somewhere.  I believe in the memoirs of the Grand Duchess George, a Greek-born princess who returned to Greece after her husband was shot during the Russian Revolution.  If I remember correctly, as the Germans were moving into Athens during WW II, the British Embassy, caught by surprise at the rapidness of the German advance, decided to destroy their files by burning them in a local crematorium.  To their surprise, when the gas jets came on, the draft took many documents straight up the vents, unburned, and secret papers drifted down over the streets of Athens.  This may be apocrophal, but it creates a vivid mental image.

Regards,

Tom

J. Thomas Converse, CA, CRM
Chief, Records Management Section