From:
Patti Kraatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 15:20:01 -0400
Peter wrote: "I will leave it our attorney subscribers to provide
information on why employers have a right to monitor electronic
communications in the workplace"

No one else is being watched? Wow. Our IT produces e-mail/internet activity
reports based on "traffic". If high activity is noticed from one person
they can surveil, without our knowledge, every e-mail keystroke, website
visited, how long we spend there, what we did (i.e. download music).
Supervisors approach the employee and remind them it's against policy -
continue and e-mail/internet access will be removed.

IT has sent e-mails asking those with pictures of pets, kids, etc. to
remove them immediately (also contravenes policy). No more puddy tats
smiling back from my desktop!

If that weren't enough an electronic "border manager" monitors web
addresses and blocks entry unless it contains words that could relate to
work, so no visit  to Dr. Who website. Even some Rain postings are blocked.
Still things slip through. I've played penquin hockey (perhaps being
Canadian that word is allowed?), and I've not been told off for arranging a
lunch date....yet

Patti Kraatz
Coordinator, Information Mgmt & Archives
Council & Administrative Services
2nd Floor, 150 Frederick St.
Ph: 575-4725    Fax: 575-4481