From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 15:40:09 -0500
I have not been a strong proponent of long distance courses, especially
in the sciences, because there is so much that is missed from normal
interaction of students, faculty, conversations in the classroom, fast
discussions, and the like.    Although I taught on campus this last Spring,
many of my students communicated with me via e-mail, and I found myself
answering literally dozens of e-mails a week.   Some of the answers could
have helped other students who didn't e-mail me.    I realize you can solve
some of that through a listserv for the class or a blog for the class, but
nevertheless there is a distinct missing atmosphere of a real live class.

I would recommend that the student contact the college and talk to a
counselor,
because if one "loathes" the class and instruction, you're going to lose the
enthusiasm to see it through.    It is for this reason that I don't assign
paper
topics without talking to a person to find their interests.   If I can match
their
interests (I had a student, a mother of five, whose family is "Disney"
oriented,
so we agreed on a research paper on the Disney Archives.   Her enthusiasm
soared as did her interest in archival management in an entertainment
company),
then the student works harder (cause it's fun), learns more, and is
inspired.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections/West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750