From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 12:37:02 -0400
On 5/31/05, Dave Hobart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have been asked to find out how long other companies are retaining
> corporate policies and procedures that apply to the majority of employees
> company-wide.

Due diligence and benchmarking are always good things to do with
regards to records retention development. That said I believe that
policies should be retained for the life of the company, while
procedures should be retained for a limited amount of time (to be
determined by your organization's needs).

at one former employer we had human resources policies that dated back
over 50 years. Why? because retirees were filing claims concerning
retirement benefits based upon "policies" issued in the past. Because
we had the  policies we had an accurate history of the policy, how it
was developed when it went into effect and when it was replaced.

pa
--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va