From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:03:17 -0400
 <1. Is there such a thing as a vital electronic record?>
Absolutely.  An EDMS or an ERMS will contain many records that may be
vital.  Databases are a bit trickier, but if the data is grouped and
handled functionally for archiving (IT definition) purposes, then the
same groupings can be considered when determining vital records
protection.  For instance, customer accounts are a functional grouping
in our CIS system.  The group is composed of several data sources
(tables) and the data grouped for a each customer.  When the customer
account is terminated (i.e. final payment is received), the data "group"
is archived.  For backup purposes, we will indicate vitalness by the
functional grouping for nightly backup to a SAN (Storage Area Network).

<2. What would those precautions be? >
Direct backup to tape for small applications.  Larger applications may
require data mirroring or shadowing, electronic vaulting, or SANs.  If
there are large amounts of active data, then use of a data warehouse
located on a redundant system is also a possibility.

<Backup to tape is not the answer because tape backups do not generally
do so at the individual record/message level.>
Vitalness is not determined at the individual document/record/message
level.  It is based on record series or data groups.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division