From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:50:42 -0500
Thought I would mention one thing which hopefully you already know.
Occasionally the

question has come up why are we microfilming when we can do scanning?  The
key difference

for me is that while scanning can provide access, it still remains an
electronic file and has to

be migrated for each new computer system.   It is possible at some point
that it will not be

readable or usable if the software and computer systems change support.
For example, my

Microsoft Word images that I used with Word 95 and Word 2000 are no longer
readable or

supported by Word XP.   All that clipart, etc. is useless to me now.    Thus
there is a continuing

cost to support the electronic form.    Also there is the problem of
quantity.   We are presently

scanning photographs here in the library; we estimate that the final result,
for storage, will run

6-8 gigabyte of storage.   Our large lbrary servers can handle only 4-6
gigabyte.   And we continue

to get photographs.    We've had to make arrangements to ship our data to a
state computer

center for libraries and then erase our files just to have a workable
system.    What does a county

clerk or archives do?    And there are rumblings at the state level about
charging a storage fee

for electronic data since they too have to buy equipment, arrange for
migration, etc.

I like scanned images for ease of access and use.   I love microfilm for its
ease of storage, longevity,

etc.    I actually have two microfilm readers, little portable old-timers,
that have few moving parts and

work just as well now as when the University bought them in 1967 or 1968.
In a pinch, I can use

these or even read film with the naked eye and a magnifying glass.

All of these issues do have hidden costs..migration, storage, and even
reader equipment.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian

Special Collections/West Florida Archives

John C. Pace Library

University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750