From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:42:31 EDT
Thanks for the very nice and public note of welcome, Sharon.  I love your
rock on sign off!

You make a good point about many people not using work accounts to post.  I
like to know what perspective people bring to bear on issues but I also
understand why it often is best to use private accounts to post. It means I sometimes
have to guess where someone is "coming from."  That's what I get for being
such a latecomer to this list.  I guess I should have said that I don't see many
people discussing their own Federal work experience here, except for a few.
Many of those who post here discuss private sector bosses, clients, legal
departments, etc.  Their perspective is interesting to me because I've always
worked only in the public sector.  I can tell that some conditions and values are
the same but some are very different!

I agree about sandboxes.  I consider myself very lucky to work in a very
collegial fashion with the attorneys and records managers in my office.  I'm
convinced that that represents the rule more than the exception, at least in
federal agencies.  But in any profession there are going to be some who view others
outside their own field in an adversarial way, for whatever reason.  I'm
starting to be able to pick out the people who obviously never plan to apply for
jobs with the federal government, LOL.

Anyway, Peter K. is going to find a flurry of notes from me to this List when
he gets back!  We're old "virtual friends," I bet he'll think, oh that
Maarja, she yaps [more than] enough on the Archives List, why'd she have to come
over here, also!  :-p  Just shows what can happen when people near the ends of
their Federal careers and start pondering, what should I do with my remaining
time, what do I need to learn yet and what are my stewardship obligations to
future officials.

OK, I've finished cooling off after working in the garden, time to sign off
and enjoy a nice walk!  The weather in the DC area has turned beautiful.  A
good weekend to you all.

Maarja