From:
"Kirbyson, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:51:41 -0700
In the litigation files I have worked on, images of the documents are
imaged and  tagged/indexed to correspond to a database record that
describes the document and its contents.  (The program we've used is
called Summation Legal Database).  If your situation is similar to the
cases I've worked on, then the images themselves are not generally named
to explain their contents.  They are usually alphanumerically generated
filenames that correspond to a database record which fully describes the
document and its contents.

If this is true for your case, then it will be difficult and/or time
consuming to rename the electronic files (depending upon the numbers of
images, of course) to something more descriptive of their contents.

Another potential issue is multi-page documents.  You would need to find
out if the litigation processes being followed will provide one image
file that has all of the pages in a document, or if instead there is a
separate image for each page of a multi-page document as that will have
an impact on your logistics.

With respect to your lawyer's question, "... if, once litigation is
done, those images can just be kept for retention purposes for the
remainder of their time...".  I question whether that would be
appropriate given the fact that you state your organization doesn't have
an EDMS program in place.  [I'm inferring that you want to use the
images for future use and to complete the records retention requirements
and that you hope to use the images in lieu of the original.]  I don't
know why you couldn't use the images, but not as the official record.
Otherwise, I believe you'll need to update your polices and procedures,
as well as your retention schedule to reflect the inclusion of
electronic media.

If I'm on-track and you have more questions, please feel free to contact
me directly, otherwise, sorry about that!

Laura Kirbyson
Records Co-ordinator
City of Calgary Water Services, Distribution Control

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.