From:
"Converse, Joseph Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:12:40 -0400
Nina,

We have a DoD certified system which is successfully managing (for storage, retrieval and retention purposes) e-mail messages, born-digital documents, and scanned documents.  We have installed the Hummingbird document management and records management modules.  While it has not been a perfectly smooth deployment (is there such a thing?) and there are some lingering issues with user acceptance, relations with portals and other applications (such as the financial management system and the personnel system), it is certainly light-years ahead of our former paper-based system or trying to make lots of other add-ons play nicely together.  We have about 3,000 users in 29 countries and have about 720,000 documents/ files/ records in the database in all four of the organization's official languages.  The database includes some 30,000 board documents going back to 1959.  The earlier ones were scanned and from 2001 they have been captured as born-digital only documents.  We also have included the organization's photo library captured in JPG, as well as other born-digital documents, e-mails and attachments (now those are tough, but we're managing) and some interesting formats which have crept in.  We are tweaking it as we go, deciding on formats to support, trying to get our policies to match our practices (and vice versa), improving the training as we move from intensive roll-out to mainly having to offer full training only to new hires, etc.  We have had it up and running for 3 years this month, although there are still units where missionary work is needed to convert the resisting hold-outs.  It's been a long and winding road, but it has never been dull.

Good luck, and try to resist lots of independent modules if you possibly can.

Regards,

Tom

J. Thomas Converse, Chief
Records Management Section