From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:55:30 -0700
Steve Whitaker said:
>I have an issue in the business and gov't (gummint) world of outputting
>information created electronic to the paper media (98+% of information
>created today in the western world is created electronic).
I don't have a quarrel with you per se; doesn't make sense to print out
records that are already in electronic format.  When I worked for the feds,
we were told to print out e-mail messages that we deemed as records because
we didn't have an electronic repository.

My real concern is whether the information will be available for future
generations.  I know of some local governments that have gone strictly to
electronic storage for all permanent records, microfilm be damned (pardon my
French).  PDF and TIFF are currently the formats in fashion for long term
records.  But as was pointed out in the Blu-ray Disc discussion earlier,
there is no guarantee you'll be able to access the records accessible 10,
20, 30 years down the road.

>Call me new fashioned, called me supportive of leveraging technology to
>facilitate efficiencies and productivity rate, call me lacking in patience
>to old fashioned thinking in RIM, or you can call me Ray, Jay, Hey,....
>just call me for happy hour.
Ugly is one name that comes to mind.  There are others that I can think of
as well but this is a public forum. I'm not interested in earning the wrath
of our favorite list mom.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
San Diego, CA
TEL: 619-696-4671