From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:43:52 -0700
Graham Kitchen said:
>I am directing this question to not only Larry Medina, but to anyone else
>who cares to answer.  I mentioned Larry because I noticed his name attached
>to a document that I Googled.

I Googled "Larry Medina" and came across a number of documents and videos,
including a bio; what an interesting guy, but I digress. :>)

>What California legislation and/or regulations prevent us from destroying
>hard-copy records after imaging and Q/C operations have been performed?
>This question is aimed at finance/accounting records.

Interesting that you bring this question up.  I was recently tasked by our
Law Department to research California laws (and other states we have a
business presence) to see if any such requirements exists.  So far I haven't
located any and don't expect to, not for financial, accounting and similar
business records, anyway.  For tax related records, most states (including
California) follow the IRS lead on this - see Revenue Procedure 91-59.

I'm not a lawyer but my interpretation is that as long as you have the
ability to produce the records, if asked, you shouldn't have a problem.  The
key is to have documented scanning and imaging procedures in place and
follow them.

Now there is some debate regarding contracts, but California is an adoptee
to the Uniform Electronic Transaction Act (UETA).  This may provide us an
out as well, although our lawyers still have a hard time letting go of the
"wet signature" document.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Contracts/Records
  Management
Sempra Global
TEL: 619-696-4671
FAX: 619-696-2534
CELL: 619-952-7145

Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility, SDG&E or SoCalGas, and
Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission