From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:08:26 -0700

> I'm setting up my retention schedules and want to include provisions for
> microfilming if necessary. For how many years can I expect regular,
> recycled bond (and the ink/laser jet type on it) to last while boxed up?
> By "to last", I mean that I want somebody to be able to open up the box
> and handle the documents normally without excess care.

Great question, and I think both Glenn and Patrick hit the primary points.

As mentioned, the conditions in which the paper is stored is a critical
factor in it's life expectancy... temperature, light, humidity and dust are
major contributors to reducing life expectancy.  And it more the
fluctuations of temperature and humidity than and constant exposure to high
temperatures or low humidities (for example) that accelerate deterioration.

Also, as Patrick mentioned the paper itself has an impact on it.  Much of
what's used in offices these days is recycled paper, and it has varying
degrees of recycled content in it.  While this all saves money up front. it
can be costly in the long term.  Also, the use of cheaper storage boxes with
higher recycled content and file folders made the same way will advance the
effects of aging on paper.

Lastly, you mentioned inks and toners... these adhere to the paper substrate
with varying degrees of success, much of which is determined by the
electrical charge placed on the paper and the heat used in fusing the
toner/ink to the paper surface.  In recent years, more and more copiers and
printers are using "energy saving" technology, which essentially cools the
equipment down while it's not in active use... a  great thing for saving
electricity, but a bad thing when it comes to fusing toner/ink to paper.
Because the machines aren't operating at the higher temperatures when they
first come back on line, the degree of adhesion you achieve (or the "bond"
between toner/ink and paper isn't as great... and this can be evidenced in
how you'll see ink from one sheet transferring to the back of another, or to
a folder, binder, etc.

Lastly, ink jet printers use water based inks, as do many pens in offices
these days (like roller ball pens).  These water based inks are subject to
quicker degradation than their more permanent counterparts, such as the
toner used in laser jet printers and some more permanent inks, which
actually get into the fiber of the paper.

Personal experience.... I've seen many OLDER printed on paper materials (50+
years) that are in better shape than their YOUNGER counterparts (15+ years)
stored side by side in the same facilities in a similar fashion in the same
environments.  I attribute this primarily to the materials they're printed
with/on, and stored in.

Larry

--
Larry Medina