From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:39:33 -0700
Shad,

Now this is a good question.
If we limit the variables, environment being a records center (withinin
compliance standards), limited handling, arrived from a clean office, etc.
best guess is about 25 years before it begins to show noticeable
degradation. Keep in mind that the vast majority of all records are long
gone by that time. Anything that impacts the environment will shorten the
timeiline rapidly.

Paul Scott brought up archival records and that is a whole nother kettle a
fish. So, non-archival, standard records in a records center should
(starting to sound like an IT person) last about as long as you need them
to. Keep in mind mister Murphy says that the exception will apply in your
case.

Chris Flynn