From:
Bogdan-Florin POPOVICI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:12:41 +0300
Well, some answeres clarify the problem. It was basicaly the issue of a
private company that wanted to relocate. The National Archives demanded not
to move their archives (here, in Romania, the National Archives has legal
control authority over all archval matters inside the country), invoking an
archival principle "the right of local communities", i.e. if a corporation
acts in a certain geographical space, the records must remain there, because
they related to the local communities.

My criticisim, apart from legal issues, was pointetd to the fact that this
"principle" was intended for archives only (i.e., for "historical records")
and not for managing active records. I've got the confirmation, because
somebody on this blessed List pointed me to the first archival manual -
Muller, Fruith and another one, from 1898, that defines that "principle".
Indeed, it was intended for "historical archives". So, I presume such a
principle could not be invoked in a matter of active records.

Have you other experiences?

Yrs,
Bogdan-Florin POPOVICI, Ph.D.
Archivist