From:
SHAWNDRA RUTLEDGE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:27:25 -0800
Thank you---this was encouraging!!

Shawndra Rutledge, CRCM
Customer Information Security Officer/Records Manager
Pacific Capital Bancorp
805-289-3574 (direct line)
805-339-4281 (fax)

I am responding to this string as President of ARMA International.

For those of you who weren't able to be at the conference in San
Antonio, the opening session featured a theme of Watch Out, Here We
Come.  I think this is very appropriate for both our profession and ARMA
International.

Things are happening in ARMA International.  The RIM Competency project
is one of many projects that will help our profession move forward.  For
those of you who may not be familiar, the RIM Competency Project will
result in a document that will detail the tasks that RIM professionals
perform at different levels, as well as the knowledge and skills that
are needed to perform those tasks.  This is a comprehensive document and
not only has those common RIM tasks, but also includes such things as
project management, communications skills, technology, business skills
and leadership skills that are essential for us to compete in today's
environment.

The next step of this project is the validation phase, where 2000 of our
colleagues will be asked to review the document and answer various
questions on the information.  This is one of the most important pieces
of the project as it will tell us what might need to be changed, taken
out or more importantly, what was left out that needs to be in the
document.

There are many other exciting initiatives underway in ARMA International
that will help to move our profession forward.  But this is a
partnership, and Patrick was right to mention that ARMA can help give
you the tools and education, but as professionals, it is incumbent upon
all of us to force our organizations to listen to us.  This is our time,
folks.  It is time for all of us to think about how our RIM programs fit
strategically into our organizations and what we need to do to make it
happen.  Enhance your skills and education and use that knowledge to
change the attitudes in your organization.

People are talking about RIM.  They may not know it by that name, but
everyone is talking about how to manage information.  It's time for all
of us - ARMA International and RIM professionals, to continue to push
out to our organizations the benefits of the RIM program

Susan McKinney, CRM
President, ARMA International

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
502 Morrill Hall
100 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN  55455