From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:59:45 -0700
Hi Patrick

From a foray into Belgium, I assume you now realize that Belgian mayo and
fries are inseparable.

Please don't take our European colleagues to task for what appears to be a
very ancient and narrow minded bit of discrimination.  I have come to accept
their academic qualifications and their attachment to the word profession
... within their culture.  Unfortunately globalization means that attachment
to culture (European or North American) will eventually vanish.

Just remember that for at least the last few centuries, archivists and
librarians in Europe and other parts of the world consider themselves as the
only true "professionals" . as they have a plethora of institutions that
grant major degrees in their "professions".

And as Jerry Seinfeld says "I'm OK with that!".

In North America and Australia (correct me if I am wrong Laurie), we tend to
use the word "profession" in a somewhat broader context.

So as a long aside (my apologies in advance for those on blackberries
scrolling madly). I am attaching a 2 page on the nature of professionalism.
If anyone thinks it of value, please fire it into a newsletter and then roll
it up and hit anyone over the head with it that you feel needs
enlightenment.

Regards

Jim

Jim Connelly
8 Oakdale Place
St. Albert, Alberta
T8N 6K6
1-780-460-7089

Professionalism in RM

Recently, I came across an article in the Canadian newspaper the National
Post that described ways that you could identify "a professional".  And I
began to think about records management and our efforts to be perceived as
professionals.

Many of the concepts that the author, John J. DeGoey outlined, we, in
records management, have adopted but many we have not.

What is a professional?
The first use of the adjective "professional" dates to the 18th century.
It's Latin roots (professus, profiteri) indicate that it originally meant
"to declare or avow publicly". Other meanings are "occupation one professes
to be skilled in" from 1541; the meaning "body of persons engaged in some
occupation" is from 1610.

An up to date definition might be that a professional is a person
"whose work involves making judgements in situations where even knowing all
the facts does not make it clear what would be the right course of action. .
Professionals normally have a code of ethics, take the trouble to keep their
knowledge and expertise up-to-date and are paid to enable them to devote
their time to using and improving their skills."  Taken from the web site of
the Social Care Association UK.

If we want to be known as professionals, we should look closely at the
following concepts and see whether or not we are publicly doing the things
that would be perceived as characteristic of professionalism.

University Education & International Designation
Membership in a Professional Association
Peer Review & Best Practices
Mentoring or Internship
Mandatory Continuing Education
Letter of Engagement
Recommendations based on Research
Mandatory Errors & Omissions Insurance

University Education & International Designation
Certified Records Managers (CRMs) have an internationally recognized
designation - Institute of Certified Records Managers (ICRM).  A great many
records managers have degrees in Business Administration, Archives, History,
Library Science & even Records Management.   It is clear that our profession
is endeavouring to achieve a level of education and certification that would
justify organizations looking at us as professionals.

While a degree and a CRM are no guarantee of skills or abilities or
effectiveness, they do provide evidence of an individual's basic level of
knowledge in the field as well as a personal commitment.

Membership in a Professional Association
Whether one belongs to ARMA, AIIM, NIRMA, RMAA, ACA, ASLIB, or other
organizaton, this also demonstrates a level of commitment to the profession.
Those who volunteer their time and those who attend lunches and seminars are
participating in business networks and sharing information . both signs of
professionalism.

Peer Review & Best Practices
This is an interesting concept.  It refers to ensuring that standards,
practices, and experiences are published so that peers may not only 'do the
right thing' but also 'do things right'.

In records management, we do work on developing standards both nationally
and internationally.  But it seems to me that in larger organizations or
even Association chapters we could do a much better job of publishing and
sharing experiences.

Our methods and best practices are seldom found in the public domain.  This
is not to say that people should simply give away their techniques or
methods, but our successes should be publicized and new concepts promoted.

Mentoring or Internship
Professions often provide for a period of time working in a controlled
environment, where skills can be honed, where mentors can share techniques
and levels of practical competence can be achieved.   There should be a time
when academic theory and real world experience meet.  It seems possible that
larger organizations e.g. federal governments, local governments,
multi-national corporations should be encouraged to develop such programs to
the benefit of both the organization and the profession.

Mandatory Continuing Education
The ICRM insists that its members provide at least 100 hours of approved
educational activities every 5 years.  Members must attend courses,
seminars, or meetings; publish articles or provide presentations.  This
ensures that as professionals they stay aware of changes in the field, new
techniques, and new technologies either through education or research.

Accordingly, we should ensure that our resumes at least have a continuing
education segment that we update frequently.

And we should insist that senior RM staff are selected in part on their
participation in continuing education.

Recommendations based on Research
If we are to be considered professionals, we must demonstrate that we
conduct appropriate research on which we base our recommendations to the
organization.  Methods or equipment or software that work in one
organization or one part of the organization may not be transferable.

Research means looking for the best approach that fits your organization.
Business cultures may differ radically from organization to organization.
Technical infrastructures may be similarly disparate.  Tolerance for change
may be different from office to office.

We must demonstrate to our organizations that we have studied their
records-keeping needs, identified gaps and researched possible solutions
thoroughly before going forward with a business plan.  We must also ensure
that we base our recommendations on well thought out advice as opposed to
simply the use of products e.g. specific equipment, supplies or software.

Letter of Engagement / Business Plan
Although more applicable to hiring someone on contract, this presents a
concept that many records managers use in day-to-day operations.  Setting
out a business plan for a program or individual project is important in that
it describes obligations and expectations.  A simple document can be created
outlining goals, project or program structure, resources, deliverables,
performance indicators, costs, time schedules etc.

This type of document is in itself a professional approach to records
management work that shows management our commitment to delivering
verifiable results.

Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance is a cost for many consultants . also known
as errors and omissions insurance.  Should incorrect advice lead a company
to spend thousands of dollars on software or storage that was unsuitable or
just plain wrong, this insurance provides the advisor with coverage to pay
legal fees or judgments associated with any litigation.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers take out such insurance and given the advice
that records managers or records consultants must make these days regarding
electronic mail systems, enterprise wide records and document systems, it
seems logical that we should insist on such insurance as evidence of
professionalism.

How To Be Professional
If the aforementioned concepts can help us become more professional, what
else can we do to earn the respect of our organizations and our peer
professions that deal with other aspects of our organizations- technology,
human resources, finance, facilities, etc.?

Focus on your priorities . your organization needs you to focus on
information management needs of the whole organization, to look at the big
picture, the burgeoning electronic record world and worry less about the 3
boxes that need to be moved to storage from the CEO's office or the colour
of out-guides in file rooms.  Only then will you be seen as professional!

Treat others with respect . you never get ahead in an organization by
pointing out the shortcomings of others.  Always be positive and
encouraging.  Only then will you be seen as professional!

Develop your strengths . if you are a technology guru, build on that.  If
you are an excellent trainer, use that to advantage.  If you write brilliant
reports, use them effectively.  Only then will you be seen as professional!

Learn to communicate . develop that 30 second elevator speech that describes
what you do and deliver it with enthusiasm.  Records management is important
but only if people understand the functionality that it encompasses.  It is
your job to communicate your successes, the value of your program and the
pride you have in your staff.

Only then will you be seen as professional!