From:
"Baareman, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:15:36 -0500
Background:

Our records management department reports up through IT here at my
company.  A shift in reporting structure gave me a new group manager in
IT a few months ago.  This manager is convinced that paper records are a
waste of time and should be eliminated.  Records Management has been
given the task of driving down the number of paper records produced and
stored.  This manager also believes that when we have our retention
schedule redone this year that we will be reducing our paper records by
at least half and that within 5 years we will have achieved 90%
paperless office.  I have discussed with him the fact that I am not
aware of any RM departments anywhere involved in this type of effort.
My take is that RM's job is to manage the records and assist departments
in becoming more efficient through wise use of technology and RM
principles.

Question:

Are any of you RM folks tasked with forcing the change of record media
from paper to electronic?  If so, how are you going about making this
change?

Thanks for your input from a Listserv rookie!