From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:14:32 -0500
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Richards, Steve <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have an entirely different take on this.  First of all, why Mexico?
> Why not chose a destruction company in the US that is AAA NAID certified
> wwwq.naidonline.org and one that will use a recycler in the US?

I think the individual is using a US-based destruction company and it is the
shredded material that is being sent out for recycling.
Paper is a commodity, there are at least 40 different grades of paper out
there when one considers the price paid by a recycler. Since paper is a
commodity I suspect that the vendor went with the recycler that paid the
highest price. IIRC shredded paper is good only for the manufacturer of
toilet paper and paper toweling since the fibers have been cut up.

> And regarding strip size, before worrying about this, why not just
> google the word DOCUMENT RECONSTRUCTION and see if strip size is really
> of concern to you after looking at this.  5/8" is the NAID standard.

one need only look at what the Iranians did after seizing the US embassy 30
years ago or the work being done on shredded Stasi files in Germany to
understand the reconstructing documents from shredded materials is extremely
time consuming and it would have to be well worth the effort to utilize the
manpower. Yes there is software capability of reconstructing shredded
materials but that is extremely expensive.

> It is my opinion that you are flirting with disaster - a very dangerous
> situation by sending your paper out of the country, where even if you do
> have indemnification, you will be hard-pressed to file suit in the event
> of a breach.  International lawyers will have to be involved.  Language
> barriers, etc.

I agrre if unshredded materials are being sent out, but I don't see such a
problem with material that has already been shredded.

> Personally, I would prefer to use only US destruction companies and US
> paper mills.

I agree on using using US based destruction companies as well as ones that
are NAID certified, but as for the paper mills it is the price that
determines what mill should be used. If a US based mill is willing to pay
top dollar or match what the foreign mill is offering then I would go with
that mill.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va