From:
"William W. LeFevre" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:57:12 -0400
Dear Larry and All:

I'm going to respond officially for the ICRM and THEN respond as private citizen of the RIM community.

Officially, the ICRM does quite a bit of vetting and the rules for qualifying for the ICRM exams are quite specific about what type of documentation is needed, i.e. letters from employers, official transcripts and so forth.  When questions and/or flags go up further verification is sought.  However, there is a certain aspect of the honor system involved here.  After all, I sure that there are people out there who could get their employers to write anything, just as there are people out there would can't get the time of day from their employers.  And there are those who would simply forge documents.

In cases like yours I would endeavor to work with the applicant to find alternative sources when possible.

OK unofficially, I think the application process is just a little too arbitrary and ought to be streamlined as much as possible.  After all, the ICRM sets a graduated scale for amount of professional experience needed with a high school degree, a bachelor's degree an so forth- but DOES NOT SPECIFY (bold is mine) what degrees are acceptable.  You could have a master's in comparative french literature (lovely language, nothing against it) and only need 2 years of RIM experience to qualify.  However, a person with a high school diploma and 10 years of practical RIM experience would still need a year of RIM experience to qualify. If your reaction, as mine is, HUH, THAT DON"T MAKE SENSE, well join the club.  Personally, I think the exam ought to speak for itself- and it does with the historical pass/fail rates- and we ought to do a little less trying to qualify at the front end. And, btw, the CRM designation is still the thing I'm proudest of in my professional life.

Now remember, before you jump all over me, that the first comments were ICRM and the second were me speaking as a private citizen and raving in the noonday sun.

William