From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:54:58 -0400

>We are looking for feedback from cities regarding retention of City Council
and/or Planning Commission meeting packets (agenda plus staff reports).  Our
current retention is 10 years in paper and electronic formats.  Recently we
have had requests to keep them permanently in the electronic format so that
staff can access old staff reports and background information on presented
items.  We would appreciate knowing your retention on these packets in hard
copy and electronic format if different and any other input you may have.
Please feel free to contact me off-list.

Laura-

I don't think this is EXACTLY what you're looking for, and apparently
someone in your City Management has determined a business or other need for
the contents of these reports to be longer than what the State shows, but
from page 6 of this PDF, it appears that the recommendation from the State
would be to retain for 1 year, including the electronic copies.

Typically a municipality uses the State schedules for the State they operate
in as a guide, then the city attorney, risk manager, and other officials
make determinations on the business model of the municipality what period to
apply.

In any event, there should be no distinction made on retention based on
format- if you set a retention for the  item as 10 years, electronic copies
should not be retained longer simply because of their format and perceived
ease of retention.

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/osp/recs/49ap2admin.pdf

STAFF MEETINGS AND CONFERENCES (Record copies of agenda, minutes and related
correspondence not filed with another record series not covered elsewhere.)

-At agency executive offices, boards, commissions, special state activities
or offices: Retire as permanent
Recorded in another records series: Destroy after one (1) year

-Below agency executive offices, boards, commissions, special state
activities or offices, and are record copies not filed with another records
series: Destroy after one (1) year, on inactivation of activity or when no
longer needed, whichever is sooner

-Information copies not filed with another record series: Destroy after one
(1) year, on inactivation of activity or when no longer needed, whichever is
sooner

If the meetings involve any fiscal matters related to real property, those
may be subject to Item 9a of this schedule, which would be "life of property
plus 4 years" or "4 years after transfer of property to new ownership"

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/osp/recs/49ap2fisc06-03.pdf

Larry