From:
Laura Maguire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:32:26 -0800
Greetings from soaking wet California!
We are a local government in the process of implementing a new phone
system that has the capability to utilize Voice over Internet Protocol
(VoIP).  This capability will allow users to send voice mail messages to
our email system.  Once they are in the email system, the actual message
will have a ".wav" file attached to the email.    We are reviewing this
feature and realize it will create new records that must be managed.
Others view this as a convenient way to receive voice messages when one
is out of the office.  We agree the feature is convenient, but want to
see if anyone else is utilizing this feature of VoIP and how they are
managing the emails.  We would like to get a handle on the implications
of this feature before the new phone system is implemented.
Although we are a Municipality and would love to hear from other
government agencies, we would also like to hear from private businesses
as well with answers to the following:
1.       Do you currently have this capability with your phone system?
2.       Do you use this feature?
3.       Do you treat the voice mail, once in the email system, as an
email message for retention purposes?
4.       How long are you keeping these messages?
5.       Do you have an email policy?  Can you share it with us?
6.       Do you have a voice mail policy?  Can you share it with us?
7.       When receiving a public records request, is your attorney
requiring your emails to be produced?  If yes, do you have to produce
one of these emails with the voice mail attached?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

If you prefer, you can reach me offline at:

Laura Maguire
Records Management Analyst
City Clerk Department
City of Thousand Oaks
(805) 449-2152
Fax:  (805) 449-2150

Please consider the environment before printing this email รพ