From:
vlemieux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 14:03:18 -0700
Dear Colleagues, I would like to share the announcement below.  Since I am a
very occasional poster to this listserv, I'll preface my posting with an
introduction by saying that I am a professor of archival studies at the
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies at the University of
British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada and the Director of the Centre for the
Investigation of Financial Electronic Records (CIFER Research).

CIFER Research is pleased to announce the release of the beta version of a
web-based tool to assess organizational and human risk factors in EDRMS
implementations.  Implementation of a digital record keeping or preservation
project, such as the introduction of an Electronic Document and Records
Management System (ERDMS), involves many types of risk, and the success of
such projects relies upon careful assessment and management of all risks.
While organizations frequently pay attention to identifying technical risks,
such as whether a particular EDRMS system adheres to recognized functional
requirements, or to addressing financial risks, such as the need to ensure
that the business case for an EDRMS is sound, they very often fail to fully
assess organizational and human behavioural risks. This web-based
questionnaire aims to fill a gap by providing those embarking on or at the
preliminary stages of a digital record keeping or preservation initiatives
with a tool to assess their exposure to common organizational and human
behavioural risks. The questionnaire consists of 36 questions that test for
risk factors that our research indicates are linked to known organizational
and human behavioural risks. By assessing the risk areas - governance,
training, change management and human dimensions - that influence records
management in your organization, risk areas can be identified and mitigated.
Although it is ultimately a matter for each organization to decide their
risk tolerance and how best to manage identified risks, forthcoming versions
of this tool will include recommended risk mitigation strategies. To
complete the questionnaire, register with CiFER at www.ciferresearch.org
and request access to the Beta risk assessment tool.

All the best,

Vicki.

Dr. Victoria Lemieux

Director, Centre for the Investigation of Financial Electronic Records

School of Library, Archival and Information Studies

The University of British Columbia

1961 East Mall

Vancouver, BC

Canada V6T 1Z1