From:
Laura Maguire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:35:50 -0800
Greetings Listserv-ers:

I have been a listserv member (and lurker) for the past 5 years.  I did submit a question a few years ago (and received great answers), and now another issue has come up for which I need the wisdom of the listserv members.

First a brief re-introduction.  I have been in records management for 5 years.  (In a previous life I was a high school Spanish teacher.)  I earned my CRM in December 2012.  I work for a local government in Southern California, USA.  Our City has a population of about 130,000 and City Hall employs about 350 employees.  We have a centralized records program.

Recently, our head of IT decided that we should address our electronic records.  Although RM has already been addressing this on a department by department basis, it is now on the top of IT's to-do list organization-wide.  Luckily, the staff member assigned to take this on is already a "Records Hero" and understands both the RM and IT side of records.  She is interested in talking to someone who has started from scratch and applied retention to existing documents on network drives from a practical point of view.  She would like to know how you started, did you use certain software products, timeline, user reaction and any other advice.

I've done some homework, including looking at the Listserv archives.  I read the email chain about "establishing a company file structure based on the company retention schedule" and even one on "implementing records retention on electronic records repositories on shared drives and possibly SharePoint," but there wasn't the detail that our IT staff is looking for.
We would be grateful to anyone willing to share his or her experience.  Please feel free to contact me individually and I will connect you with our IT staff.

Thank you all for your time.

Regards,
Laura Maguire, CRM