From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:51:38 -0500
On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:03 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: "Binkholder, Mary I" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Tackling RM on Network Drives
> Date: February 13, 2014 at 3:53:59 PM EST
>

> One little "nugget" to keep in mind -- the retention schedule should not be tied to a specific format (paper, film, electronic).  A record is a record, regardless of format!
>
> Mary Binkholder, CRM/NS  : :  Supervisor, Administration  : :  T 314.225.1557  : :
> Ameren Missouri  : :  P.O. Box 620  : :  Fulton, MO 65251

With that in mind, if those records are vital and those can be in Electronic Format, then the storage safe, file cabinet or vault should be rated to protect the type of media on which the vital records are recorded. NFPA 232 in 2007 recognized this and stated that vault should be rated for the media being protected.

Some CFO and CIO execs are starting to vault their Server Rooms as they deem the servers to contain vital records and find it easier to vault the whole server vault rather than try to segregate records. The server vaults are rated to protect media at Class 125 and the server hardware as well.

Europe has been doing this for years and Brazil does it quite a bit.  The more the CFO becomes aware of Information Governance, the more this realization will strike home.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM