From:
Laura Maguire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:12:10 -0800
As a follow-up to my original question, Andrew Ysasi and Glenn Sanders had some good questions about elaborating on the type of detail IT is looking for: project plans, software applications, or policy recommendations.

I asked the IT staff to narrow down our request and this is it:
We are looking for implementation -- how did it get implemented?  Did you use software to track the files or did IT do the date searches themselves.  What type of policy did you design?  Was it based on limiting user's size on the network or on actual records management dates and structuring folders to collaborate the RM retention schedule.  We are looking to see if other Cities/Companies have implemented Records Management Protocol on electronic files and how they went about establishing a policy for it and organizing it on the network so that it made sense to staff and was workable.

Thanks, Glenn, for the retention vs. business process advice!

We are grateful for any help/direction you can provide!
Laura Maguire, CRM

<snip>Recently, our head of IT decided that we should address our electronic records.  Although RM has already been addressing this on a department by department basis, it is now on the top of IT's to-do list organization-wide.  Luckily, the staff member assigned to take this on is already a "Records Hero" and understands both the RM and IT side of records.  She is interested in talking to someone who has started from scratch and applied retention to existing documents on network drives from a practical point of view.  She would like to know how you started, did you use certain software products, timeline, user reaction and any other advice.