From:
"Duncan, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:33:04 -0400
Hello

At the risk of bringing everyone back to the basics after a fascinating discussion on the difference between RM and IG, I humbly ask your assistance in answering a pesky records question. (smile)

Has anyone ever tried to have your retention schedules identify a third party holder of records? My company is trying to solve this issue. We have had a functionality built into our schedule that identifies the third party by picking from a drop down list of  business units within the organization or "external vendor" for outside the company.  The reason we put this functionality in was to address the concern that "all records" must be identified. We have one group that thinks the owner of the record should have these records on their schedules and another group that thinks the third party should have it on their schedules.  Unfortunately with turnover, this functionality is not well understood by the RIM group or by the records coordinators in the company. To illustrate, here are a few general scenarios:

External vendor:
Our HR group uses an external vendor to run the payroll.  This external vendor creates and manages records on HR's behalf. In this case HR has stated in their contract with the vendor the retention period of the records that the vendor has to keep. Hopefully this includes identifying what the records are. Should these records be kept on HR's schedule or should it be on the Vendor's schedule?

Internal third party:
This is a little harder to describe. Business unit A has business unit B handle a certain part of their process.  Let's use contracts as an example. Business unit A, the procurement department, "contracts" with business unit B to scan and store the contracts for them. The owner of these contracts is clearly procurement, but business unit B manages the record for them.  Whose schedule should it be on?

Thank you in advance for any  insight that you can give.

~Meg

Meg Duncan, CRM, CIM
Fidelity Investments | Franklin MA

The views expressed in this email, written by me, are mine alone, and may not represent the views of my employer.