From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2014 07:17:27 -0800
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Glen Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> What was the first computer you used? TRS-80, Commodore? Other.  My first
> (other than the mainframe at school) would have been the TRS-80

At home? 1984, a TI-99/4A

At work? In 1979 we had ATS/360 "workstations" that were network connected
to a mainframe processor in another building. We had to send batch jobs
and/or do input, then go pick up our output.

Then in 1983, an IBM XT with 640kb RAM and one 5-1/4" floppy drive.

We had to sign up on a log to use it, maximum 30 minutes per session.
There were 4 of them in the department and we had a staff of 53.

The only others available were in the financial services (Budget) office,
where the 3 workers EACH had one and in the Manager's office, where the one
secretary had one, and the other had an IBM Selectric typewriter.

And THIS was my first "laptop" =)
http://www.vintage-computer.com/compaq_portable.shtml

I had it for home use in 1985, and 3yrs later when we started getting REAL
laptops, I bought it and the dot matrix wide carriage printer that was
paired with it (and yes... I still have it!)

Larry

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*