From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:01:16 +0000
<"Sales Professionals" didn't do this... unless we're talking about marketing people working for a certain association. >

Larry et al - my soap box tirade was not about the creation of the term, but the hijacking of the term once it's established.  It gets reinvented every so often because the old term (i.e. records management) has been watered down to the point that it no longer describes the profession.  That "certain association" makes its money off the universality of the product - records and information management professionals in one way or another - and when the term is watered down, they start losing their marketing base and, thus, establishes a new term to describe what we do.  I find it appalling that our professional association is so embarrassed by what we are called, that it pays little attention to providing the education in the profession they claim to they do.  Instead they spend resources trying to reinvent what we are called (not, you notice, what we actually do - that basically stays the same only bigger).

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division