From:
Angela & Najib Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:56:29 -0600
I would like to share something that an attorney shared with me as his
"opinion" although I am not sure that counts as a "case study" per se.  When
the words "permanent" or "indefinite" are used, it can be argued that the
decision to retain or destroy the record is subject to criteria that is not
clearly defined.  Therefore, "if" a decision is made not to retain the
record, there is no clear definition of the criteria used to determine why
the record was not retained.  If it is retained, an assumption is made that
you must have a plan for how the record is to be preserved and made
available for discovery should the occasion arise to produce it.  So, I went
through my retention schedule and changed those words to ensure that we were
making smart, criteria-based decisions and not subjective decisions based on
"gray area" thought processes.

At the time I sought the opinion, I was working in consumer electronic
retail records management.  We were being sued by three states who were held
accountable for an environmental cleanup because of a certain metal that was
found to be a contaminant in their landfills that was subsequently detected
in the water table.  They, in turn, filed suit against any and every
business that sold products containing that metal.  It was claimed that,
because we sold products containing that metal within the state and those
products were disposable, we should share in the cost of the environmental
cleanup.  We set the retention of our product line files for life of product
+ 30 years.  We were asked to produce both sales records and product design
files, none of which we had any longer.  We were politely excused from the
suit.

It was a good lesson for me.

Angela Faers