From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:21:28 -0800
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Remember the days when having a 1 terabyte hard drive was exciting? Well,
> Seagate has announced a new 3.5-inch drive that can hold 8 terabytes of
> your data, and with an affordable price tag to boot. It’ll cost just $260,
> which means you’re paying about 3 pennies per gigabyte.

While the initial reaction is to "SQUEE with Glee" over this announcement
and price point,  reality sets in and I'm forced to ask a couple of
questions:

WHERE do you backup an 8GB drive unless you have a RAID or you partition it
logically?

WHAT happens when this drive crashes, even if you DO have it partitioned?

WHY would you want to store 8TB of applications and content on a single
drive and haul it all around with you?

HOW long does it take a drive that large to "spin up" and find your content
once it gets spread around the drive?

2TB is manageable, you can buy dual platter 4/6 TB backup drives at
reasonable prices, and if one platter crashes, still have a mirrored second
platter to salvage you content from... but once you get beyond that, it
becomes problematic, unless you're willing to trust your content to a
public cloud with little or no guarantees of any safety or security.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*