From:
Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:47:45 -0700
Multiple responses have mentioned the "destruction" of data in databases. I
am curious to know if anyone has successfully deleted data out of tables
from an ERP system such as PeopleSoft or SAP. I can understand deleting all
or part of data from smaller databases that may serve a singular purpose,
but to do this on a large-scale ERP system seems tricky.

Since joining my Company in May, I formed a RIM Oversight Committee and
worked with them to develop a new corporate-wide RIM Policy. The Policy
addresses the retention of data in databases and I think it is sound
policy, but would love to get any feedback from the listserv on whether or
not you think it can realistically be implemented. I believe it can with
focused coordination with IT, but it will take some dedicated resources to
make it a reality.

Electronic Databases and Documents

Electronic Databases and Documents are subject to the requirements of this
RIM Policy regardless of media type. A determination must be made whether
any electronic database or document is a Business Record
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#BR> or Non-Record
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#NR>. Complexities may exist for database
Business Records and the following guidelines should be observed:

·       Determine the Record Series that reside in the database and the
associated Retention Period for each.

·       If the database contains a single Record Series then retention
should be handled based upon the Retention Period for such Record Series.

·       If multiple Retention Periods exist for different Record Series
contained in the database, then determine if destruction of each Record
Series can occur without impacting any other Record Series in the database.

·       If a Record Series cannot be deleted because of database
requirements, then data retention may be handled based upon the following

1.     Separate the database by Record Series and Retention Period; or

2.     Default to longest Retention Period for the Record Series contained
in the database.

Todd P. Johnson, CRM, IGP, CIP, ERMm
Records & Information Manager
Questar Corporation