From:
Philip Bantin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:22:27 -0500
Greetings.  I have been asked by the publisher Rowman and Littlefield to
edit a book I have entitled Creating Trustworthy Repositories for Digital
Records:  Theory and Practice.  I will be writing the theory sections, and I
am now in the process of looking for authors who can add a chapter on the
implementation of trustworthy systems for records.

First, let me tell you a bit about the book project.  As you know, theory
related to trustworthy systems for records is relatively well known.
Requirements and sub-requirements are articulated in many sources, and
models and conceptual strategies have been put forward for such
important activities as ingest, metadata capture, retention, security, and
preservation.  Unlike theory, however, practice and implementation as
related to trustworthy systems for records is not as well known or
documented.   Occasionally there will be an article on a project, but these
are often broadly defined summaries of activities and do not provide
enough detail to be truly useful.  The best source for data on a project
should be its website, but I have found that some projects do not create a
site, and that the ones that do often have incomplete and out of date
information on them.   My book would help to address these issues by
publishing extended essays that included as much practical information as
possible on how certain recordkeeping requirements were actually
implemented.  In sum, I think the book I am proposing fills a void.  It
brings together in one source a great deal of the research undertaken in
the last ten years on a very relevant topic, the construction of trustworthy
repositories to manage society's most important digital resources.  Perhaps
more critically, however, the book identifies implementation projects and
describes in some detail how some projects are attempting to solve the
problems associated with creating these new types of systems.

At this point in the planning, the book will include the following chapters:

Creating a Trustworthy Repository for Digital Records:  Theory and Practice

Total Length:  275 Pages

Chapter 1: What is Trustworthy Repository for Records?

Length:  20 Pages

Theory:

Practice:

Chapter 2:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Resources, Policies and
Management Structures

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 3:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Ingest Process

Length: 30 pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 4:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Creating and Capturing
Metadata

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 5:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Capturing Audit Trail Data

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 6:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Assigning Retention and
Disposal Data

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 7:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Creating an Access Strategy

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 8:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Creating a Secure System

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 9:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Creating a Preservation
Strategy

Length:  30 Pages

Theory

Practice

Chapter 10:  Building a Trustworthy System:  Summary and Concluding
Remarks

Length:  15 Pages

Theory – Strengths and Weaknesses

Practice – Strengths and Weaknesses

I am writing to ask those of you who have been involved in implementing
any of these requirements, if you would be willing to contribute an essay to
one of the practice sections of the book.  The deadline for completing the
book is December 31, 2015, so you would have at least 6 months to finish
your contribution.

I hope you will consider this request.  If you are interested, please contact
me as soon as possible at [log in to unmask]  Thank you.

Philip Bantin

Indiana University Archivist and Records Manager