From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 07:42:25 -0700
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 4:57 AM, Frank Holt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am in the process of developing an email retention policy for our state
> agency and am interested in reviewing email policies that may be available
> from other agencies in government or private industry.  If you are willing
> to share your email policy with me for review to determine if some topics
> addressed in your policy may be helpful to include in our policy, please
> let
> know. Specifically, I'm curious if anyone has developed an email policy
> that
> specifically addresses retention features configured for an enterprise
> solution (MS Exchange, 365, SharePoint, etc).
>
> Thanks for contacting me, if interested in this discussion.

If this is being developed for a State Agency, I'd assume there must be
some guidance available from the State on RM requirements?

http://www.ncdcr.gov/archives/About.aspx

http://www.ncdcr.gov/archives/ForGovernment/RetentionSchedules.aspx

http://www.history.ncdcr.gov/SHRAB/ar/emailpreservation/default.htm

In CA, the Secretary of State's office is where RM guidance comes from, and
there's a handbook for all RM efforts from any/all State Agencies to comply
with.  They issued a VERY BRIEF guideline for e-mail in 2003, but it's
pretty common sense based.

http://archives.cdn.sos.ca.gov/calrim/pdf/guidelines-email-retention.pdf

Know what's a record... if the e-mail is a record, manage it as if it were
any thing else.

"Transitory" (records of minimal value, with retention periods less than 2
years, typically) are allowed to be left within the native application;
anything else should be moved out and managed in an approved EDRMS.  And
naturally, records of Senior Officials should be handled differently than
those of others.

Larry

--
Larry