From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 14:17:57 -0700
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Then again the scope of the breach seems to keep growing. Perhaps I will
> be getting one of those letters, not that I haven't already gotten one (as
> well as the rest of my family) based on another breach...

According to the FAQs, families aren't impacted =)

*Can my [family member] also receive services if he/she is part of my
file/records?*

Your [family member] was not affected by this breach. The only data
potentially exposed as a result of this incident is your personal data.
Knowing the level of information I had to provide on my in-laws, I have a
hard time understanding how OPM figures this is the case.... I had to
provide proof of military service and citizenship records because they were
born outside the US.

> Haven't counted the number of emails my government client has sent to
> employees about this topic.
>

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/security-clearance-contractors-still-stress-speed-over-thoroughness-workers-say/2015/06/14/00d1bd80-09fa-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html
>
> For years, investigators charged with vetting the backgrounds of those who
> handle the nation’s secrets have said they were pressured to churn through
> cases as quickly as possible. The faster they turned them in, the faster
> their company got paid — even if the investigations were rushed and
> incomplete....

Methinks this is a case of "shouting at the rain".  When I went through my
initial investigation (over 15 years ago) it took 11 months... and cost the
Agency $38k.   My last re-investigation, which had limited changes, took 8
months.... no idea of the cost.   A "young pup" here that just got his
clearance approved waited 8 months (first job, just graduated from
college), and his cost $25k.

They're not "Rushing" anything. OPM, Office of Perpetual Molasses.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*